These are just a few of the words used by 10 Twitter stars who I asked to define social media. Don’t mind the abbreviations; the goal was to offer a definition in 140 characters or less.
Feel free to comment below and share your own 140 character snippet.
1. SM allows me to participate in discussions about entrepreneurship that I hope will one day change the world. I also get to give back. @BrianMoran
2. Social=meaning friendly gathering. Media=form of communication. Reminding us to gather friendly when we communicate with others. @JessicaNorthey
3. SM has totally shifted the way that small & large businesses connect with audience. It is about the hand shake, conversation, relationship online. @MamaBritt
4. Social Media = Global Diversity – The ability to have a local, national or global & inclusive conversation. Do you have what it takes? @FleeJack
5. Social media is a great way to share insight & connect with people globally. It’s the perfect give & get communications medium. @Rieva
6. Welcome to the ‘Age of Influence,’ where anyone can build an audience, build relationships, effect change… and make a difference. @TedRubin
7. Social media is a great way to connect and inspire your target audience. It is also a great place to build real relationships with those you want. @RayHigdon
8. It’s an opportunity to ‘meet’ people you would have never met otherwise, to share what you know and learn some too! @LeadToday
9. SM is an unprecedented opportunity 2 elevate/expand ur influence. Each tweet/share is a chance 2B more informed, amazed & appreciative. @AngelaMaiers
10. SM gives me the ability to make wonderful connections with people that would be all but impossible in an analog world. @MackCollier
Be sure to follow these folks on Twitter and other social channels. They are smart, savvy, and succinct!