I break from my usual blogging theme of communication and public relations to bring you “The 21 Signs that Social Media Has Taken Over the World.”
- Your baby is born in the hospital and the nurse asks, “What’s the baby’s handle so we can fill out his birth certificate?”
- The sign on the restaurant door says: “No shirt, no shoes, no gadgets, no service.”
- The new name for Hide and Seek is “Foursquare.”
- The phrase “He’s all thumbs” is considered a huge compliment for a fast texter.
- Every house with kids in it proudly displays their Avatars on the mantle in the den; no one seems to recall what a school picture is.
- Wikipedia as we know it is gone; it’s just a bunch of links.
- “The New Testament” is now the 10-set volume of Gary Vaynerchuk’s “Crush It” series. It’s a wonderful source for kids in Sunday school classes every week. Only second of course to “The Bible.”
- No one talks anymore. We simply chat.
- When someone says “Smile for the picture”, you immediately think emoticon 🙂
- Your 6-year–old adoringly pleads at bedtime, “Please tell me that story again about The Three Wise Men: Chris Brogan, Tom Peters, and Seth Godin.”
- Gadgets like the iPhone have gone the way of eight track tapes.
- Kids laugh at their parents when we describe how Tweetdeck worked.
- On special occasions, family dinner means Grandma shares her story, “When I was your age and had to Tweet from my Blackberry, we paid $12 to see the ‘Avatar’ movie in 3D and got these silly glasses….”
- When someone says “Beam me up Scotty”, they really mean it.
- When you go through the security check at airports, everyone beeps. We’re all wired and chipped. TSA who?
- The bumper stickers that say “Honk If You Love Country Music” have been replaced with “Tweet If You Love Pinterest” — and no one ever gets a ticket.
- The board game Scrabble now has pieces with .ly and http://
- Phone books and libraries are obsolete. There’s one book that matters: The Book of Links.
- No one discusses the difference between bloggers and journalists because the last newspaper went to “Newspaper Heaven.”
- Baby bibs that used to say “Spit Happens” now read “Spam Happens, IMHO”
- Mashable tops the newest version of the 7 Wonders of the World.
And I can’t figure out why I don’t sleep at night. Hmmm. 🙂
(Photo Credit: Tristan27)